Monday, August 24, 2015

The Perfect Wardrobe is Closer Than You Think - Part 1

Capsule Wardrobes



Everyone’s clothing demands are different, needing to reflect and meet the standards for their specific lifestyle.  Whether working in an office, outside, a daycare, or at home, your clothing selection has got to be up for whatever your day is ready to dish out.  


I titled this post “The Perfect Wardrobe” because I couldn’t think of a better way to describe my current clothing situation.  It is perfect for me and my current lifestyle needs.   Naturally, my needs will evolve as time goes by, but having this simple setup makes transitions so much easier.  Thinking about having to replace or add just a few pieces, rather than completing an entire wardrobe overhaul!  


Dressing has never been easier for me, and I have never felt more put together or comfortable in my life.  Applying this new strategy to my closet has taken some time and a lot of consideration, mostly because I wanted to do it right the first time, and I didn’t want to spend crazy amounts of money.  The effort was well worth it.  I love every piece in my closet- can you say that about your clothing collection?


My current clothing situation, if you are curious, is based on a capsule wardrobe.  A capsule wardrobe is a set of basic clothing pieces that do not go out of style.  These basic neutral-colored pieces can cover a variety of occasions, compliment each other, wear comfortably, and make you look good!  For those of you who are all about keeping up with new styles and trends, think of the capsule wardrobe as the foundation of your closet.  The trends come and go, but your foundation remains the same.


The term has also evolved with the times, to describe a set number of clothing items that compliment each other and can be mixed to create several coordinating outfits.  Pinterest has a lot of capsule wardrobe ideas to get you brainstorming.


A clothing capsule may be for you if:
  • You have trouble deciding what to wear in the morning.
  • Nothing ever “goes together” in your closet.
  • Your closet and dresser are bursting at the seams.
  • You frequently feel like you have “nothing to wear”.
  • Many items in your closet do not complement your figure.
  • You do not know what your “style” is.
  • Some of your clothing is worn.
  • Some of your clothes make you look tired or “washed out”.
  • Some of your clothing is uncomfortable.
  • You don’t enjoy shopping.  
  • You are taking a trip and want to have clothing variety without multiple suitcases.  
  • You spend too much on clothing, especially when the sales pop up.


If any of these characteristics apply to you, a further look into clothing or wardrobe capsules may be well worth your time.  Keep in mind, you want to apply the clothing items to your lifestyle.  If you don’t have the need for a skirt, or would never be caught dead in one, then don’t include one in your capsule.


A traditional capsule wardrobe generally includes the following items:
White/Neutral shirt/shell
Dark shirt/shell
White/Neutral Collared Shirt
Dark Collared Shirt
Dark Collared Blazer
Dark Pencil Skirt
Dark Sheath Dress
Light Day Dress
Dark Wash Jeans
Dark Dress Pants
Neutral/metallic Ballet Flats
Dark Pumps/Heels
Accessories (Jewelry, scarves, handbags, etc)


Capsule wardrobes generally do not include: (meaning these items are separate from your capsule; not that you would have to give them up :)  
Undergarments
Bathing Suits
Pajamas
Workout Clothing
Hobby/Activity related clothing


Considerations when putting together your capsule wardrobe:
  • What is your personal style? Classic? Bohemian? Goth? Chic?  If you need help, try this quiz.  
  • What colors make you look good?  Free color analysis tool here.
  • What styles of clothing compliment your figure?  See Here: The Right Clothes for Your Body Shape.
  • What quality, durable materials are you most comfortable in?



Are you intrigued with the idea of a capsule wardrobe?  Here’s a fun tool that I used to set up my “ideal clothing capsule: Polyvore.  Having a visual is definitely helpful.  It’s like window shopping; you don’t spending anything.  

What are your thoughts on a capsule wardrobe? Are you ready for a change?  Capsule wardrobes have brought an ease to dressing that I never realized I could have.  I hope this post inspires you to consider the benefits of a capsule wardrobe.

Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Great post. And thanks for including the links. I've been trying to do this for a few years now. Makes life SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does! I'm glad you've had a positive experience so far. I've found it very much worth the effort and thought I put into it. Packing for warmer climates has also been a breeze- I take just about everything, as it all fits into a carry-on suitcase.

    I began my capsule with spring, and dressing has never been simpler. I feel put together and comfortable, without having to stand in front of my closet wondering what's occasion appropriate. Looking forward to trying out my capsule with my cold weather additions. It won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete