Monday, August 17, 2015

Lunchboxes, Making Food Fun

Lunchboxes

I have a few… (cue my husband laughing at me in the background).  I just cannot bring myself to do away with one of them!  They are among my top prized possessions.

Contrary to what some may believe after viewing my collection, I am actually not a foodie.  When it comes down to it, I do not enjoy the cooking process.  I would rather continue cleaning the house, pursuing a hobby, or working outdoors, than stop to put together lunch.  This could also explain my eating habits.  I generally keep it simple, and lean towards whole foods that will fill me up and feed my body.  Quick, easy, and back to work.  Keeping it simple.

With the start of my first teaching job, I found myself faced with the challenge of preparing food for a day away from home.  Looking in the fridge each morning, it was difficult for me to find items that would pack well and keep my tummy satisfied for the length of the work day.  As you can imagine, this did not work out so well for me once lunchtime rolled around.  Peanut butter crackers got old quickly.  I kept a stash of microwave macaroni ‘n cheese in my coat closet.  Not the healthiest stuff to eat, I know, but keep in mind I was fresh out of college.  I knew I wanted to make a change to eating better food, and while you do not need a lunch box to do that, it sure has helped me.

So I began researching my options.  As I was packing everyday, I wanted something reusable and sturdy, to cut back on the amount of trash I was producing.  This lead me towards lunchboxes with partitioning. This turned out to be even more beneficial than I realized, as I would brainstorm during dinner how to fill each compartment for my lunch the next day.  I could also pack my box as I was cleaning up dinner, saving myself time before work the next morning.  These lunch boxes work great as “doggy” bags after eating out too- who knew!  Doing away with the paper bags and plastic baggies has simplified our lunch packing routine, and eased the decision-making process at the same time.

If you are looking to pack lunch every day, searching for a way to cut back on trash, trying to save some money on eating out, or just trying to eat more clean, I highly recommend checking out some of the links below.  In addition to products, many of these sites offer ideas for what sorts of food to pack in their product and recipes to try.

1. Bentology (Formerly known as  Laptop LunchBox)


After doing some research, the Laptop LunchBox was my first choice, so I did want to mention it here. They have since changed their name and I see some additional products on their site.  If you cannot tell from the photo’s, their product is plastic (claiming BPA free).  Being my first box, I was quite pleased with it, but my happiness with this product faded over time, as the negatives began to outweigh the positives.  I have since recycled this product.  

Things I liked:
  • Versatile.  Different sized containers allow for more options when packing food.  
  • Plastic, so you may easily reheat foods in the microwave.
  • Containers were airtight, so I could easily pack soups, stews, and other wet foods like applesauce and yogurt.  
  • Can purchase additional add-ons or replacement pieces via their website.  

Things I did not like:

  • It is plastic, so I did note some food stains early on, especially from red sauce.
  • So many pieces to clean and to lose!  (This was the killer for me.)
  • Some of the containers began to develop a white residue, even though washed regularly.


2. Tiffin
Check them out on Amazon.


I had never seen anything like this before, so when I came across the “Eat Drink Live” tiffin at Ten Thousand Villages, I had to have it. The shape of the containers makes it difficult to pack some things, say, a whole sandwich (even Arnolds Sandwich Rounds do not fit this model), but luckily I am not one for sandwiches.  Super-durable, I fill this one with snacks and let my kids carry it around.  It is perfect for my favorite snack-like lunches: Babybell cheese, crackers, raw vegetables, and fruit.  As it is metal, it makes it difficult to pack hot foods, unless you bring along a microwaveable plate to transfer your food to for reheating.  I did find a model that comes with what looks like a hot/cold carrier (see below), but not sure how long with would keep foods at the right temperature for.  Make sure you keep it upright, if you chose to pack any “wet” foods.  I would not recommend packing soup or liquids in this lunch box, as my model isn’t sealed.  There are a few pieces to clean, depending on the model you would select, but nothing like the Bentology.         


      


3. LunchBots


 
(estimated $20-$30 price range, depending on model)

The great things about LunchBots is that they come in various sizes with various partition designs.  One box is enough for a snack or a small lunch, perfect for a morning at the park or a break between running errands.  If you like to eat a lot or need more food, I would suggest purchasing more than one, perhaps an UNO for a salad/sandwich and a DUO for veggies and fruit.  Durable, only two pieces (a lid and a base), and easy to clean!  



4. ECOLunchBox

ECOLunchBox 3-in-1 (starting price $26.00)

This lunch box follows a tiffin design, but the shape allows for much more versatility.  A typical size sandwich will fit in the bottom.  The top container can hold fruits, veggies, nuts… If you prefer to keep your foods separate, the smallest container can “nest” in the top container.  The smallest container comes with its own lid, so you can pack a snack separately as well.  Very durable.  When I first purchased the 3-in-1, I noticed the fit of the containers was not perfect.  If I was having trouble fitting them together, I would rotate a container around to help solve that. I also noticed the side clamps that hold the containers together would slip off the lid when all the pieces were together.  I used a needle-nose pliers to create a little more bend on the clamp and -voila!- no more slipping.  No sealing; not the best container for wet foods.

This company sells bags and other accessories to accompany your lunchbox.  I purchased an artisan bag to carry my 3-in-1.  I selected the versatile adjustable backpack, which can actually be worn as a backpack, over the shoulder, or across the body.  It comes with three napkins/placemats.  I use this bag to carry my ECOlunchbox, my tiffin, or my LunchBot.


5. PlanetBox

Shuttle Starting Price ($34.95)
Rover Starting Price ($49.95)
Launch Starting Price ($55.95)

The most expensive, but by far, my favorite choice for the kids.  The tray design is easy to clean, there are few pieces to keep track of, it can be put in the dishwasher, and did I mention customizable magnets that attach to the outside?  There are so many more magnet options available since I purchased mine.  For kids, this totally ups the coolness factor. The company also sells lunch bags to hold the box and keep food cool.  


The PlanetBox comes in three sizes: Shuttle, Rover, and Launch.  I do not have a Shuttle, but understand that it is the right size for a snack or lunch for a little tummy.  I would probably go with a LunchBot DUO before a Shuttle and save the money.  

I want to order a Rover (middle size) for my oldest child who will be starting pre-school this year and will need to pack a lunch. The five compartments allow for lots of variety. If you visit their site, they follow the choosemyplate.gov recommendations for food groups and servings.  I know this will help me when I am brainstorming what to pack her for the next day.  


I own a Launch (largest) for myself, and I love it.  The Launch came with a dipper (small round container) for sauces, condiments, or dressing.  If I felt the need for something sweet I would fill mine with chocolate chips :)  When I purchased my Launch, I also purchased a “satellite”.  This container is glass with a (silicone?) lid, which allows me to pack and easily reheat food in a microwave. The lid seals when the lunch box is closed, so it holds wet food well.  

* * * * *

I had to keep stopping myself from writing “I LOVE this box!” for lunchboxes #2-5.  They are seriously useful and I use them on a daily basis.  They help me eat cleaner, rather than going out and purchasing food wherever I am at.  They save me money, as it much cheaper for me to bring food from home than eating out. They have eased my effort to put together meals for my family on the go.  

If you have any questions about any of the above products, comment below.  I would love to hear from you!

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment